The Nation's Health

Health Tips: Straws - just how unhealthy they can get

> Read the accompanying horrid story and you'll think > twice before using a straw to drink !! >. .................................................................. > Horrible story! > > I ordered a Club Sandwich and a Sprite in a restaurant > somewhere in > Malaysia. . When I finished half of the > sandwich I sipped a sprite. But it didnt taste like > an ordinary > sprite I used to drink. So I sipped once more, but > it still tasted the same. It tasted like a sprite > mixed with some > kind of oil. > I >called the clerk and asked him if the sprite was > expired. He said it > was just delivered today. So I asked him to > taste it. Then he also found that something was > wrong with it. > > Both of us were > wondering for a while. Then I got to look inside the > straw. There were a lot of tiny black round > things that looked like eggs. So I cut the middle of > the straw > lengthwise to have a better look.. Yuck. There were > a lot of tiny black round things in it.. I suppose > they were eggs of > cockroach. About 1000 eggs were there. Then I > began to check all the other straws in the straws > case one by one. > Almost all of them contained black eggs that > seemed to be either the cockroach eggs or > excretions.. > > After the incident I began to check all the straws in the > restaurants and fast food chains that I had gone to.. > Almost of all the straws contained the same black > eggs. Especially > the darker the colors of straws, the more black > eggs were found.. In black straws, extreme amount of > black eggs were > found. It was found out that it's because the > cockroaches live > (hatch eggs and excrete) in the dark places. > > * 80% or more restaurants in the malls use red or > black colored > straws. > > SO NEXT TIME.... BE CAUTIOUS... CHECK THE > STRAW BEFORE > YOU PLACE IT INSIDE THE DRINKS. BETTER STILL....DO USE > STRAWResearch has found that people who generally live longer do so partly because of good habits. Here, i provide some of the following good habits for longevity.

4.8/10 stars (409)