The Nation's Health

Hurricane Food: Ambrosia (5-Cup Salad)

The crab

Ambrosia Recipe from Jane Storm

Here in northern New Jersey, we're battening down the hatches in preparation for Hurricane Irene. A few counties in southern New Jersey have been evacuated (I read on the news earlier that about one million people were evacuated from the shore area), and parts of New York City have evacuation plans as well! The worst of the storm is supposed to hit us up here between 6 AM and 11 AM on Sunday, so we're stuck inside waiting and hoping it blows over. You can see the National Weather Service's page on Hurricane Irene here.

So, since we're stuck inside, Mom and I decided to make some delicious ambrosia (also known as 5-cup salad). This has always been a favorite dessert of mine. It's super simple and really delicious! I've decided that there's nothing better than settling in during a hurricane with a bowl of ambrosia and episodes of Twin Peaks on Netflix (I just finished the first season and I'm totally digging it - will have to post about it soon!).

Ambrosia (5-Cup Salad)

  • 1 cup pineapple chunks, cut into small pieces (crushed pineapple works fine, too)
  • 1 cup mandarin orange slices
  • 1 cup marshmallows
  • 1 cup shredded coconut
  • 1 cup sour cream

Add a cup of sour cream to the bowl and coat everything evenly. Now you can add in more of any ingredient that you like, if desired (we like more marshmallows). Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Stir before serving.

This may not be the neatest-looking recipe, but it's certainly DELICIOUS! I love the combination of the sweet fruit with the gooey little marshmallows and the slight crunch of the coconut. I could easily eat the entire bowl myself, but I have to share with Mom...

Hope everyone on the east coast stays safe! Keep your fingers crossed we don't lose power here... I need to watch more of Twin Peaks!