The Nation's Health

April Showers

Ok, so there was really only one day that it rained and the other it snowed... really New Mexico, snow in April? I'm going to promise some more recipes soon to come, however I wanted to put in a little of what's been going on lately. And there will be pictures for that. I'm also trying to transition over to another site where I can have more organization over my thoughts and better pointers for readers (So that explains some of the absence from here lately.)

For two months I took a pottery class... here is some of the evidence.

In the "wet" phase.
Glazing.
Pieces in the studio.
Some of the pieces were fired using a raku technique which heats the pieces then puts them in shredded newspaper to smoke. The finished products are crackled and metallic.
And all of my pieces un-ceremoniously crowded together for a picture. It was a really great class, and now I have some pottery items to use in every day life! There is at least one pitcher that will get used multiple times for homemade syrup.

What else have I been doing lately?

Yesterday, C and I went to a wine and spirits appreciation class that I bought for a v-day gift at Don Quixote Distillery and Winery north of Santa Fe. I definitely have a good time tasting over 20 samples of wines, ports, and spirits. :)

Luckily we got appetizers and snacks to eat while we drank!
Mmmm, spirits.
The class while the owner discussed how he got in to the distillery business.
More delicious products. I bought some gin and vanilla extract - I love the smell of real vanilla.
Nose - sniff by putting your nose in the glass but breath in with your mouth outside the glass. Blew my mind! This is how you get those subtle tones with high alcohol items. We also learned how to correctly sip and drink hard alcohol - breathe in, drink, then breath out (you don't get that harsh burn and instead can actually taste the flavors). This may have changed my life. ...I also realized that I may like brandy due to my Dutch heritage.

Keep an eye out for some good protein rich recipes soon!