The Nation's Health

Flax wheat bread with banana cinnamon swirl

Recently, I've gotten in to bread making - the main reason being... I really like bread. But I find that really likely bread, I am can be very picky. One day, coming to realization that a) I really like bread, b) I am not happy with my store bought bread, and c) why eat something if it only half good and half good for me - I decided the only option I had was to make my own. I love bread for the sake of bread - not as a holder for other items, a second place to the sandwich fillings - give it the respect it deserves! To be totally honest I'd rather each a sandwich without all that bread, but I'll eat bread for the bread... but only if it's good. What constitutes good one might ask, well - texture, taste, aroma, feel... but mostly texture. I don't want something I can compress into a ball of glue and shove in my mouth, I want a dense hearty texture that supports and is complemented well by a good cheese or other spread.

I've resolved to not buy bread from the store any longer... unless it's a good bakery of course, but to instead bake a new loaf each week. This is my 4th loaf, it is very similar to one I made another week (that one just had cranberries and no swirl) - the basic dough was the same however. Flax is really great at creating a smooth rich texture.

Ingredients
3 cups whole wheat or multi grain flour
1/2 cup ground flax meal (ground flax seeds)
1 1/2 T sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 T fast rising instant yeast
1 cup water
1/2 cup milk (I used vanilla soy milk)

Swirl - optional
1 mashed banana, 1 table spoon cinnamon, 1/4 cup sugar. Mix together and set aside

Directions

Warm milk and water to just about luke warm water, add yeast and let sit for 5 minutes.

Mix 2 cups of flour, flax seed, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Stir milk mixture into dry mixture. Mix in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough that does not stick to the bowl. Turn out onto floured board and knead until smooth and elastic or leave in bowl and knead with one hand - this keeps the counter clean and only one hand dirty.

Cover dough and let rest 1-2 hours or until almost double in size. Shape in to round loaf or roll dough into rectangle. Spread banana swirl filling onto middle, leaving a good 1 1/2 inches around all sides. Sprinkle with chocolate chips or nuts if desired. On the short side, roll dough in a jelly roll fashion. Pinch long seam closed, tuck ends under - towards the seam and pinch close. Lay loaf seam side down on a lightly greased baking sheet or one lined with parchment.

Cover and let rise in a warm place until dough has doubled in volume (about 40-50 minutes).

Bake in a preheated oven at 360°F for 30-35 minutes. Remove and let cool on a wire rack.
Enjoy!!