The Nation's Health

Gigantes - Giant Beans

While studying in Greece, one of the most common vegetarian options on the the menu was gigantes, literally meaning giant beans cooked in the signature tomato sauce. When I came back to the states, I looked at all different types of beans, but could never find what I was looking for until I was perusing through an international market and saw them - elephant beans. These were the beans I had been searching for!

So I had them in the cupboard for months and finally pulled them out to have a look. I didn't have the tomato sauce recipe, to I made a few things up and decided to do more of a toasted feel. After toasting, I tossed them with some caramelized onions, parmesan cheese, spinach and olive oil and then baked for about 45-60 minutes. The meal was rounded out with some BBQ tofu (made with left over Black Dog South Carolina BBQ Sauce). Although I've never done a type of scalloped beans... they turned out much better than I expected! I think I've found a new bean go to. :)

Protein packed goodness! Yum!!