The Nation's Health

Grilled Gouda Cheese with Pears and Arugula

This week marked my first week of receiving a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) basket of food/produce. Traditionally they're done weekly, however I think I'll be doing mine every other week. I was in love with the farmer's market and goat farm when I lived in Urbana and the farmer's markets in Albuquerque are now all closed for the winter, so I didn't know what I was going to do... That was until one of my co-workers mentioned Skarsgard Farm's CSA - jackpot, problem solved. First surprise of this week was a giant onion... I think it is a two pound onion. Aside from that, mostly what I've eaten so far are the pears (delicious) and arugula (just the right type of spicy). I'll have some other updates on what I decide to do with the beets and chard.

Once I opened the box, the first order of business was to whip up a quick sandwich. I bought bread at Great Harvest the day before so I already knew I was headed to sandwich nirvana. Before I started making most of my own bread, I was obsessed with Great Harvest... some week's I'd pick up two loaves of bread (for just myself - ok maybe I'd share). Every time I move, I am ecstatic when I run across a Great Harvest in the area. My favorite staple bread is the Dakota bread, but I loave (punny) trying all their other rotating items as well.
Back to the sandwich.... I had the bread, pears and arugula just arrived with my CSA box, and lastly - I had smoked Gouda left over from my cheesy rice. Small confession, I have never (and I mean never) made a grilled cheese in a pan until this week. Growing up my parent's didn't like grilled cheese so us kids would toast the bread first and then microwave (only slightly soggy). As I became more "sophisticated" I toasted my sandwiches under the broiled, which actually turned out very good most of the time. Now however, I'm not sure I can go back. I lightly buttered both outsides, filled the sandwich and carefully flopped it in a pan. A lovely toasting on each side and it was ready to eat.

But first a picture... and paired with my favorite Greek wine that I ordered off line - Skalani from Boutari, a spicy red, perfect with the smokiness.

To wrap everything up: 2 slices of 9 grain bread, 1 pear sliced and lightly cooked in a pan, handful of arugula, and slices of Gouda cheese (didn't exactly measure).
I see many more grilled cheese varieties in my future!