The Nation's Health

Kringla - Swedish Christmas Cookie

If I've never mentioned it before, I am full blooded Scandinavian - Norwegian, Swedish, and Dutch, which is somewhat rare if looking at American as a whole. Yes, I am an American, but also very proud of my heritage and like to keep some of their traditions alive: lefse, kringla, lutefisk (pronounced loot-a-fisk), almond cake, etc. All of those I fully enjoy, minus the lutefisk... something about lye soaked cod just doesn't appeal to me, weird. During the holidays, my mom and dad usually handle the lefse (although one day I'll take over), my mom the almond cake, and I take the kringla.

This recipe originally came from a secretary in my dad's office who was a fantastic baker. She used to send home tins full of kringla during the holidays and one year sent the recipe too. I took that recipe and have made them every Christmas since.

Kringla have a light soft texture, mild flavor with a hint of buttermilk, and generally can be sprinkled with various colored sugar.

Kringla
Makes ~4-5 dozen

1 1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter
2 egg yolks
1 tsp soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups flour
3/4 buttermilk

Mix butter, egg yolk, salt, sugar, and a small amount of buttermilk in a mixer until fluffy. Add remaining buttermilk, soda, and mix slightly until well blended. Add 1 cup flour and baking powder, beat until well blended. Stir in 2 cups of flour. Chill several hours. Form and bake at 350F for 8-9 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown but tops remain light colored.

*To form the figure 8 shape, roll a heaping teaspoon full of dough into a "rope" twist into an "8" shape and lay on parchment lined baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar as desired.

Make sure to serve on a festive plate!