The Nation's Health

Spiced Nuts (Pecans)

Although it is halfway through January, I'm still obsessing over holiday treats. I didn't actually make these, my mom did, they were such a big hit that I just have to share them! The recipe is adapted from Swanson's Health Products recipe. These are also a much healthier option than my traditional Swedish Nuts... lots of butter and sugar. I'm considering adding this spiced mixture to my snack rotation.


Spiced Mixed Nuts (best with pecans)
About 10, 1/4 c servings

1 T sugar
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 T water
1 T honey (clover)
1 tsp olive oil
2 1/2 c mixed nuts or raw pecans

Combine the sugar, spice, salt, and ginger and set aside. In a separate small-medium sized pot on the stove, bring the water, honey, and olive oil to a boil. Add in the nuts. Cook and stir until all the liquid is evaporated (~1 minute). Immediately sprinkle with reserved sugar mixture, tossing to coat.
Transfer to an un-greased baking sheet. Bake at 325F for 15-20 minutes, or until browned, stirring twice. Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.

* In life side notes, I really should write about what I've been doing lately. Last weekend I went skiing again for the first time in years! And I should have a brief restaurant review shortly as well as what I've been doing with my fitness and weekends (not baking enough could be the answer to that).

My birthday is also coming up, I need to make plans! Including where to go and what type of cake to make... yet I make my own cake, that way I get exactly what I want. In the past they have included: angel food cake with strawberries, creme filled jelly roll, crunchy top brownies, filled cupcakes with chocolate ganache, orange cake with chocolate, and bread pudding (seriously in love with that).