The Nation's Health

Unappealing Picture, But Delicious Outcome = Avocado Mac & Cheese

There is not much I can do to make a slightly off-green pasta look appealing. Could I have chopped up some green onion and sprinkled on top... probably. Did I? No, I was too busy taking a picture so I could eat the product.

Way better than it looks!
First off, mac & cheese - I never grew up on mac and cheese, nope, my mom doesn't like melted cheese unless it's only a little on pizza. So the only person who ever got mac and cheese in my family was my younger sister who refused to eat meat sauce on any type of pasta, only separately on the side (weird, right?). Just kidding Lou Lou - we're a unique food family - all of us. Growing up, that macaroni and cheese was made with mainly cream and a little bit of shredded cheese for color. If you have never made noodles cooked with cream in a pan and a splash of cream cheese (my favorite onion chive), you are missing out. Minor confession - my family (Mom's side) cooks with cream in everything and butter (heaven forbid we forgo the butter!) and they all grew up thin (some good genes going on there).

But I am straying off topic, back to the Avocado Mac. Why avocado - it's creamy, delicious, loaded with good fats, and is the hot item of the year. I found this recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod and followed the recipe to the T. So I won't go writing out the whole thing here. The cheese I used was pepper jack which gives just enough spice to the pasta, but the coolness of the avocado really milds it out.

Additionally, this is the second time in my life I've made a white sauce, first was for a bechamel sauce for pastichio, and it turned out well. One modification I made was subbing whole wheat rotini for the macaroni, I think it holds the sauce a little better and of course whole wheat is the better option. I also left out the cilantro because I didn't have any on hand.

All in all, a tasty success, despite how unappetizing the photo may be.