The Nation's Health

Weekend Edition: Grilling and Brunch

Zen - to do with purpose, become fully immersed in the task at hand.
Easter weekend, yay! Ok, so I'm a little behind in getting up this post, but what a great weekend it was. It all started Saturday with a good workout: run, additional elliptical, weights, and abs. After the gym I rushed home to get ready and met up with a friend (AC) to go to the Japan House on campus for a special presentation. There was a special speaker about Japanese Kabuki, traditional Japanese dance-drama with elaborate make-up, gestures, and syllable speak. He is Professor Emeritus Shozo Sato, a highly honored kabuki director, teacher, and artist. The program at UIUC was built through his hard work and extreme dedication... and he has a pretty good sense of humor.

Prof. Shozo Sato
After learning to understand Japanese style theater, (to a limited extent) so I can appreciate what is happening when I see a show, we went out and walked around the gardens. Only a couple weeks ago the cherry trees were in full bloom - I wish I would have seen that! Following a quick stroll, we popped inside to take part in a tea ceremony. This was also a learning experience with every movement and object holding significance to the senses and respect for the attendees.

It must be a warm spring, the peonies are already in bloom!
The rest of Saturday was spent at Cheese and Crackers (a local cheese store that has tasting on Saturday - I bought my favorite geitost), grocery shopping, and inviting a few more friends over for grilling. For dinner we grilled eggplant, sweet potato, onions, asparagus, kabobs, and veggies burgers. Yum!

Preparing the tea.
Bowing as I receive my tea.
Sunday was Easter and my younger sister's birthday (Happy Birthday Sis!!). That morning I went to my Neighborhood UU church and started to plan brunch afterwards. For brunch we made Whole Wheat Buttermilk pancakes, my grandma's cream and sugar syrup, a new buttermilk syrup, a wild mushroom frittata, and fresh fruit. Everything turned out so delicious!

Buttermilk Syrup and Grandma's Sugar & Cream Syrup

The secrete to light, fluffy pancakes is egg whites.

Look at that spread.

These are the same pancakes I've been eating since I was a kid, always totally from scratch.

AC decided to fan the strawberries - fancy.

AC's frittata with mushrooms, caramelized onions, spinach, green peppers, and a hint of parmesan cheese.
Great food weekend! And even better to have a break from weekday stresses.