The Nation's Health

Apple Cheddar Scones

Busy weeks call for weekend catchup on everything writing and luckily I have been keeping busy in the kitchen. It is still apples season and I am still making and baking anything with apples. I actually made these scones the same time as the Apple Oat Scones. Of the two, my favorite is the Apple Oat, but with a few modifications, the Apple Cheddar comes in a pretty close second.

I slightly modified this recipe from Smitten Kitchen. I reduced the butter, subbed half the flour for whole wheat flour (as I mentioned before, I accidentally bought white whole wheat flour - so the color is still pretty light), traded plain yogurt for the cream, and divided the dough into eight wedges instead of six. Just a little better portion.
Overall, they are a slightly denser scone - probably due to the cheese, but have a good mix of flavor with the sharpness of the cheddar and sweetness of the apple. My grandmas always used to eat apple pie with a piece of cheese... now I know why, it tastes pretty darn good.