The Nation's Health

Breakfast Done Right - Overnight Oats

Back as an undergrad student in Minnesota, I started making cold oatmeal or letting my oatmeal soak in yogurt over night with frozen berries and then grab it quickly as I ran out the door on my way to class. So as I begin following more food and fitness bloggers who are posting about oatmeal, I decided to pick up my old habit but kick it up a notch. I also have quite a few mason jars not currently in use - so it was perfect!

It is nearly impossible to make a mistake with oats as long as you're putting in items you like!

For each jar I used the same base of:
1/2 cup old fashion oats
1 scoop (~1T) protein powder (to make it worth your while, I don't choose anything with less than 20g of protein per serving - then for mine 3 scoops was a serving, so I still get about 7g from the one scoop)
1/2 cup plain non-fat yogurt
1/3 c vanilla almond milk
1 T chia seeds

Mix that all together and add fruit to the top and incorporate fruit. Leave in the refrigerator over night or for a few days... definitely able to make up a few at once to have throughout the week. I used a peach, strawberries, and a banana. As a confession, my goal is get 20g of protein for breakfast - and this fits the bill with 3g from oats, 7g from protein powder, 7.5g from yogurt, and 6g from chia seeds to make a grand total of ~23g. Calorie total of 320kcal. Have I mentioned before that I love nutrition?