The Nation's Health

Crisp Spicy Spring Rolls

I must be on an Eastern foods kick lately - Egg Roll Salad and spring rolls all in one week! I do love a good spring roll, but have never made them at home before! And they are super simple, packed with nutrients, and pretty low calorie compared to the fried egg roll counter part. I paired mine with a sweet plum sauce, but they would also go great with a light peanut sauce or tahini. Yum. The spice and pepper comes from the arugula and tofu that I used - I do love my peppery greens.

Spring Rolls

1 pkg spring roll wrappers (I found mine at a local Asian grocery store)
1 red bell pepper
2 small pickling cucumbers
1 block Teriyaki Smoked tofu
3 bunch arugula
2 green onions, chopped
Choice of dipping sauce

Cut pepper, cucumbers, and tofu into strips. Arrange two strips of each in the middle of the wrap, sprinkle on some green onions, and lastly add 3-4 leaves of arugula. To fold, roll like you would and egg roll - starting my folding over the left and right side ends first (see orientation of left and right, below), then fold down the top edge and roll towards the bottom. Set "flap" down on a plate and serve. :)
You can cut up more ingredients for more rolls, this recipe makes about 8 rolls.

What other ingredients do you put in spring rolls?