The Nation's Health

Pick-me-up Pumpkin Smoothie

I've already mentioned that when it comes to fall, I love anything and practically everything pumpkin. And I have already posted a pumpkin smoothie... but one morning last week I added a little something which just made the whole world a better place (or at least my morning). Since I'll usually head to the gym in the morning around 6:30 and need something with a decent amount of protein after a workout - which is usually Greek yogurt and Kashi Go-Lean or a protein smoothie, this autumn spiced delight has been my new obsession.

So what was that secret ingredient... fresh apple cider! At pumpkin and apple picking last weekend I bought some fresh cider - and in a "I'm feeling adventurous" mood, I splashed some in instead of my normal soymilk.

Here's how the recipe went:
~1/3 c. fresh apple cider
1/2 c. canned pumpkin (you could use baked winter squash too if mashed well)
6 oz. vanilla yogurt
1 scoop plain soy protein isolate (or other non sweetened protein powder)
1/2 c. ice cubes
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Toss in the blender and blend to desired smooth consistency (add more cider for a thinner texture). I actually made it nearly everyday after that morning. It was an excellent addition/change to my breakfast-checking email routine.