The Nation's Health

Pumpkin Banana Bread - Love Me Some Vitamin A

It must be fall because pumpkin is ending up in almost everything I make. And there will be no complaints about that from me. :) Seeing as winter squash is my favorite (and I mean favorite) vegetable, pumpkin rates pretty high as well. I sometimes joke that I'll turn orange from all the carrots, sweet potatoes, and squash... but that hasn't happened yet. But my eyes are at least healthy; terrible vision, but healthy none the less.

As with most of my other bakings, I'll get a general idea for a recipe (at least the ratios of wet ingredients to dry ingredients... and correct amounts of protein or other agents for structural development). Hmm, I guess baking is more complicated than I thought. I will answer that it is just years of practice and experimentation.

But back to the bread, the texture is really great - a nice crumb similar to a regular quick bread with oil (but this one doesn't have any!!) and doesn't develop that all too common rubbery texture some low-fat quick breads and muffins can have from over development of gluten. The flavors also blend well - and I added a little extra nutmeg for an extra spice kick.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup sugar
1 can pumpkin
1 really ripe banana, mashed
2 cups whole wheat flour (or combinations, I used 1 1/2 cups wheat and 1/2 oat flour)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup soymilk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (thanks to (neverhome)maker for this tip!)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a large loaf pan.

Quick together the sugar, honey, banana, pumpkin, and vanilla; then stir in soymilk.

Sift together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Gently add the dry ingredients to the wet, being careful not to over-mix. Pour batter into bread pan. Bake for 60 minutes, or until tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let sit/cool 10-15 minutes before slicing.

Enjoy!!