The Nation's Health

Roasted Tomato Goat Cheese Quinoa Salad

Mmmm, goat cheese.

Yep, that is all.

Aside from goat cheese, have I ever mentioned how much I love quinoa? It is so versatile and tastes good in just about every flavor combination, I have yet to meet a quinoa concoction that I didn't like. One reason I simple adore this grain (technically a seed) is that I can throw whatever leftover randomness I have left into a bowl with this and make a salad that never disappoints. This time leftovers were from a house dinner which featured personalized grilled pizzas - delicious. I made a half and half pizza with ricotta, goat cheese, caramelized onions, and honey on one side with chorizo, red sauce, avocado, and shredded cheese. I think I made have found a new favorite pizza to share - goat cheese and honey = amazing.

I had picked some (a giant grocery bag full) cherry tomatoes from one of my gym lady friend's house and needed a way to use them up, fast! I decided to toss them in a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme - then roasted them under the broiler until the were browned and bursting. There were quite a few tomatoes left from pizza making so I decided to center a salad around them - quinoa helped to set the stage with a lovely fluffy background.

Roasted Tomato Salad (with goat cheese)

1 1/2 c roasted tomatoes
2 cucumbers (chopped)
2 green onions (chopped)
2-3 oz goat cheese (you can use more but this was all that was left)
1 c dry quinoa
2 c water

Prepared the quinoa by bringing quinoa and water to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Reduce to simmer until liquid is absorbed, fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.

Combine tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, and prepared quinoa in a bowl. Mix together, then top with goat cheese or mix to incorporate.

Another simple quinoa salad and perfect way to use up remaining ingredients and leftovers. PS - I also think this would be good with chunks for fresh mozzarella.

I swear this is only a small amount of goat cheese. ;)