The Nation's Health

The Great "Pumpkin" Bake

Ok, so this isn't really a pumpkin, but a large squash. It does however look like a majestic moss green pumpkin. I'm hoping to be able to use it for some pumpkin type creations.

To start, wash off the outside from dirt, etc. and cut the squash in half.

Look at that beautiful interior! Next step is to scrape out the seeds. They could also be roasted if desired... however the main difference between pumpkin and squash seeds is that squash seeds are much thicker and may require longer roasting and not get that nice light crispy texture associated with pumpkin seeds.

Everything is all ready to bake! I usually start off by putting the squash "back together", this way everything can steam inside without worrying about getting dried out. This technique usually works best for smaller dark (drier) squash that often have a less stringy and more starchy texture. I baked this Great "Pumpkin" for a little over and hour together and then opened it up for another hour - or until flesh is tender.

It's done! The next step is to just scoop out the contents from the shell and save in tupperware until ready to be used. If this was an ordinary eating squash I'd season it lightly with a touch or salt and some pepper (then probably eat half the squash or at least a cup).

The flavor of this squash is very mild, not at all like the strong flavors I'm used to from other winter squash. It is also more fibrous than starchy, so I also plan to puree contents and drain off some liquid before using. I am pretty excited and will post whatever I make with it!
P.S. I got at least 6 cups of squash from this, so there may be a lot of items to make.

This is what I did while I was waiting for the baking beauty. Pumpkin beer and pretzels - good evening? I think so! (And a good tip for snacking - portion out a serving, then put the bag away, and when that is gone... you're done snacking.)