This handsome fruit is quite popular for its deep and purple-colored juice that is packed with lots of antioxidants that may help in maintaining a smooth and wrinkle free skin. But, aside from the possibility of helping people to maintain youthful and glowing skin by keeping the blood platelets together, there are so many health benefits of pomegranate to people of all ages. While no health claims are made regarding pomegranate whatsoever, here are some of the remedies and uses that some people hope pomegranate can help with.
1. It may help reduce the risk of having a heart disease, heart attacks, and strokes. Studies show that pomegranate juice daily may help support the normal blood flow to the heart. Because of its antioxidant properties, pomegranate keeps bad cholesterol from forming, and thus, may help keep the arteries clear of clots.
2. It may help support the body's normal defense in the prevention of certain cancers. Since pomegranates has very high levels of antioxidant called "flavenoids" that is thought to be effective in counteracting various cancer-causing radicals, more and more experts recommend this fruit as a possible part of a healthy diet. Because of flavenoids, many people are consuming pomegranate because it is believed to help support their good health.
3. It may help reduce the risks for illnesses such as atherosclerosis, osteoarthritis, and diabetes. Because of the properties of pomegranate, conditions that are known to cause the thickening and hardening of arterial walls and damage in cartilage and joints are hoped to be helped by this fruit. Studies are needed of course to get test results. No claims are made as to what the pomegranate may or may not help.
4. It is a rich source of various vitamins. Pomegranate is a good, natural source of vitamins A, C and E as well as folic acid.
5. It is rumored to help reduce the possibility of having premature babies. Pomegranate juice and extract is thought by some people to help expectant mothers avoid having low birth weight babies.
6. Some users claim it is beneficial for relieving minor illnesses such as core throat.
7. Other users believe it might reduce the possibility of developing Alzheimer's disease among older people.
8. It is prized in some countries for the belief that it might help in achieving and maintaining a clear skin with youthful glow, and it is believed to help soothe skin inflammation.
9. The antioxidants are thought to help support the immune system.
10. It may help support healthy blood flow because of its iron properties. Pomegranate supports the blood by supplying it with iron, thus may help prevent anemia symptoms that include exhaustion, dizziness, weakness, and hear loss.
11. Aside from having lots of anti-oxidants, pomegranate also might have some anti-viral properties.
12. Pomegranate juice and extract is thought by some women to help in overcoming the feeling of general malaise during menopause.
***************** Pomegranate is mainly grown in India, Iran, Azerbaijan, Armenia, dry parts of Southeast Asia, tropical Africa and East Indies, along the parts of Arizona and California and peninsular Malaysia. However, it has been the native fruit of Afghanistan, Iran, northern India and Pakistan. Pomegranate has high nutritional values and numerous health benefits.
Following are the nutritional values present in 100 grams of pomegranate:
Fat – 0.3 gm Dietary Fiber – 0.6 gm Sugars – 16.57 gm Carbohydrates – 17.17 gm Vitamin B3 (Niacin) – 0.3 mg Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) – 0.063 mg Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) – 0.03mg Protein – 0.95 gm Iron – 0.3 mg Calcium – 3 mg Vitamin C – 6.1 mg Vitamin B9 (Folate) – 6 mg Vitamin B6 – 0.105 mg Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid) – 0.596 mg Energy – 70 kcal or 290 kJ Zinc – 0.12 mg Potassium – 259 mg Phosphorus – 8 mg Magnesium – 3 mg
Health Benefits of Pomegranate:
Following are some health benefits of pomegranate:
As pomegranates are rich in antioxidants, it can keep bad cholesterol (LDL) from oxidizing and hence prevents atherosclerosis. Regular intake of pomegranate juice is highly beneficial for people suffering from heart disorders. It has been noted that pomegranate avoids clumping of blood platelets and also formation of unnecessary clots. Researchers have found that pomegranate
compounds can eliminate prostate cancer. It has been observed that juice of pomegranate aids in preventing heart attacks and strokes too. Pomegranate juice is very useful for people suffering from diarrhea, but excess consumption may cause constipation. It is believed that pomegranate is very effective in reducing plaque in arteries and raising HDL levels. Pomegranate juice is related to reducing breast cancer risks. It is also associated with reducing blood pressure levels and also enhances oral health. Pomegranate consumption can prevent and slow down Alzheimer’s disease. It is believed that pomegranate prevents cartilage deterioration and hence keeps osteoarthritis at bay. Researchers have proved that maternal intake of pomegranate juice can protect the neonatal brain from damage after an injury.