The Nation's Health

Back in Action... well almost

It has been far too long since I've added another recipe to here... it's not that I haven't been cooking and baking... it's just that I have so little time! This summer has been filled with thesis writing, coordinating a food science summer program, and teaching a beginning chemistry summer review. The good news is that I'm almost done! I have a break from teaching for a month, the food science program is winding to a close, and my thesis should be done by the end of the weekend... and I mean done, done - we're talking ready to be printed done.

But that leaves - what will I do in the next phase of my life? Luckily for me, I still have almost a year to think. I'll be completing the internship portion of my degree during the next school year and graduate with my MS RD in May 2012. Doing lab research has been an invaluable experience, however I'm really looking forward to putting to use everything I've trained for in a community and clinical setting. Only 11 months to be any official RD! (For those other dietitians out there, you know how important this is!)

In the last month, I also signed up to participate in the Chicago Urbanathalon this coming October. After my running injury back in April 2010, I was really slow at getting back to running longer distances, however I've been doing alot of preventative work (that's paid off!!) and back to running over an hour easily (the heat and humidity can be a little tricky in the summer though). For training this time around, I'm doing a different approach than when I trained for my half marathon. I've decided to not focus as much on running (what!), that's right, I'm taking much more of a whole body approach. Fitness isn't just about being able to run a long time or further distance, it's about balance. I've added in more of a weight lifting routine (pretty light) and yoga a few times a week as well - which really helps with my tight muscles due to running. All of this adds up to better posture, stronger core, better balance, and more muscles control.

Of course health has the nutrition component... my area of interest and expertise. So I think that calls for a recipe.

One of my favorite blogs is (never home)maker, and I've mentioned them before. Although I'm not a true vegetarian or vegan, I really enjoy eating and cooking that way, and they have some awesome recipes. This past week I made their Coconut-Avocado Soup and Banana Naan.

You can find it on their website or here:

Coconut-Avocado Soup

1 large ripe (medium) avocado
1-1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth (check the labels, broths usually have A LOT of sodium)
1 cup light coconut milk
1 tsp curry

Scoop the flesh from the avocado into a blender. Add the vegetable broth and blend until well incorporated. (It may help to chop the avocado a bit first.)
Add in the coconut milk and curry powder. Blend again until smooth.
If you'd like a slightly thinner soup, add some more coconut milk.
Serve with banana naan for dunking.

Banana Naan

1/2 mashed banana
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1 to 1-1/2 cups unbleached bread flour (may need more or less, depending on humidity)
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs, if desired

Whisk together the yeast, banana, and water. Let froth for five minutes.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the bread flour and salt (and herbs, if you're using them).
Pour the wet mix into the dry and combine with a spatula. Then knead for a few minutes with you hands. You may need to add a tablespoon (or so) of warm water.
Form a nice, elastic ball and lightly oil your medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes.

Divide into four balls. Flatten each on a lightly floured work surface.
Roll out each ball until it is about 5 to 6 inches in diameter.
Spritz a frying pan with olive oil and heat over high heat. When hot, place one of the pre-naans on it. Press down a bit with your hands or a utensil. Cook until golden.
Then flip and cook until golden. Repeat with remaining pieces.
Use a pizza cutter to cut each piece into 4 triangles.