The Nation's Health

Chicken Salad of the Southwest Variety

Getting back to a more normal life here - with time to do some scheduling and meal planning - yay! Since it is consistently hot here - more weeks of some 90 degree weather - that means salads! I've now become enamored with the idea of making one entree type salad per week to have for lunch Monday -Friday. I'm trying new salads I have never made before or twists on some old favorites. One less item to worry about for the week.

This last week's salad of choice was a chicken salad with a little spice. I paired it with some fresh lettuce I took back from my Mom's garden. Everything turned out fantastic... although I made the salad on Wednesday, which means it is stretching in to Sunday to finish everything for one person. Also, I was doing some cost analysis of this week's recipes and this salad is only $1.61 per serving, chicken thighs are super cheap compare to breasts, and if you're chopping up the meat anyway it's a good option - pretty fantastic if you ask me.

Southwest Chicken Salad
Serving - 6

4 chicken thighs
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 can corn (drained)
1 green bell pepper (chopped)
2 green onions (chopped)
1 avocado (chopped)
2 tomatoes (seeds removed)
1 (6oz) contained Greek yogurt
1/3 - 1/2 container Philly Cooking Creme (Santa Fe Blend)

Removed skin from chicken thighs, cooking in slow cooker for 5-6 hours on low heat or until cooked and tender. Chicken can be made the day before and stored in the refrigerator overnight. Using two forks, shred chicken and set aside.

Combine all the vegetables in a large bowl and mix well. Add in chicken and stir. Lastly add in Greek yogurt and Cooking Creme - the Santa Fe blend has some spices to add a kick - but feel free to add other chili powder if desired. Mix all together and serve over a bed of fresh greens (I also ate it on a sandwich one day).

Enjoy!