The Nation's Health

Itasca Wild Rice Salad (Douglas Lodge)

Have you ever bought a cookbook for one recipe? I have. This was back in my late teen years - my family and I were up at Itasca State Park for the day - for those who don't know, that is the head waters for the Mississippi River. We've spent time there in the past camping, staying in cabins, biking, and getting our feet wet walking over the origins of the mighty Mississippi. At the end of this particular visit, we decided to bo to dinner at the restaurant there - Douglas Lodge. I decided on the wild rice salad and was hooked! We asked the wait staff for the recipe and they answered that the recipe could the found in the lodge cookbook for purchase at the gift shop. I picked that baby up and never looked back.

Since I'm back visiting family, we pulled out the recipe and I'm reminded once again why I like it so much! Chewy wild rice, crisp water chestnuts and celery, and tossed in a tangy mustard dressing.

Douglas Lodge Wild Rice Salad

2 c dry wild rice
4 c water
2 c halved red grapes
1 c raisins
3/4 c sliced water chestnuts
1-2 c chopped celery
1/2 c slivered almonds
6 oz Honey Mustard salad dressing

Prepare wild rice: Bring wild rice and water to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook until grains have split and rice is chewy but not hard. Rinse rice in cold water and drain.
Combine the rest of the ingredients and mix well. The salad gets better as it sits, but you might need to add more dressing over time as the rice and raisins tends to soak up the dressing.

What a simple refreshing salad for the summer! This served 4 people at least twice for a meal, so feel free to cut everything in half.

The heat is one for the majority of the country this holiday week, stay cool everyone!