The Nation's Health

Reunited with my long-lost love, if only for a night...

The stage was set - the table was set, menus in place, twelve chair sat around the table while the guests chatted pleasantly waiting to be seated. As we all took our spots, I looked down at the menu in anticipation... Greece, we'd meet again if only for a brief two hours enjoying the food of the country I left nearly four years ago. For those who don't know, I spent a semester during my undergrad studying abroad in Greece and Turkey - traveling around to different places such as Athens, Delphi, Tolo, Sparta, Crete (Vamos, Chania, Heraklio), Santorini, Mykonos, Istanbul, Bergama, Capadocia, and then a final pit stop in Italy. So much I wish I could go back to that simpler time - maybe eventually end up there again some day. The food, people, and culture is rich in history - really knowing what to look for in life and what's important in the grand view of everything. But I digress.

Agean Sea Drink of the evening - Vodka, Blue Curacao, and soda
Dinner took place in the Spice Box, a hospitality management student led fine dining fixed menu restaurant of sort that is open Wednesday and Friday evenings during the spring semester. This day's theme was obviously Greek, but it rotates depending on who is in planning - and reservations go fast!

Since pictures say much more than I ever could...

AC and me enjoying our drinks (AC is in more than one post, but
he's usually working so I actually don't see him that often!

Tiropita - traditional cheese pie (feta type wrapped in philo dough)

Horiatiki - Village salad of tomatoes, onion, cucumber, and feta tossed
in an olive oils herbed dressing.

Pastichio (very similar to what I made a few weeks ago!) - noodles topped with bechamel
This one was vegetarian with a zucchini mushroom and tomato filling.

And the best part - Loukoumades!!!! Light fried puffs of dough drizzled with cinnamon honey and powdered sugar.
I haven't had these since I was Chania, Crete last.

And a few of my favorite picture from studying abroad will come soon. :)