The Nation's Health

Smoked Gouda and Chicken Andouille Rice

Sometimes the best things in life aren't planned... Initially I was going to try a quinoa bake with some smoked gouda cheese I picked up at the grocery store the other day, however looking through my refrigerator I decided to make a Greek quinoa salad instead with tomatoes, cucumbers, feta, etc. But what to do with my gouda cheese? Light bulb moment - pair it with the last of the chicken andouille sausage I had from Trader Joe's the week before. I also had the last remaining scant cup of rice leftover from making risotto earlier this fall. And a glorious combination was formed.

Smoked Gouda and Chicken Andouille Rice

1 scant c. short grain rice (white usually works best of starch production)
2 c. water
1 c. shredded smoked gouda
2 chicken andouille sausages
2 c. your favorite frozen vegetables (optional, but I'm a dietitian so my healthy side got the better of me)
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a medium sized pot, bring the rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and let the rice cook until tender. To prevent massive amounts of foaming, drizzle with olive oil to disperse surface tension. Towards the end of cooking, stir the rice often to encourage that starchy creamy texture.
Cut and shred the sausage and cheese. Sprinkle in the cheese and melt in to the rice. Next add in the sausage and vegetables and bring everything back up to temperature. Season to taste.

Real simple week night meal with less than 5 ingredients.