The Nation's Health

Socca, Just Another Pancake or So Much More?

Pancakes and breakfast foods are some of my favorite foods - give me a whole grain pancake and I'm happy for the rest of the day. But how did I end up making socca and what is socca? Socca, also called farinata, is a thin crepe like pancake made from garbanzo bean flour. These babies can be made with a variety of spices - curry, rosemary, cinnamon, pepper, sea salt, or anything you can think would go great with a meal.

I was in the mood for a new pancake and as luck would have it, there is an over abundance of garbanzo bean flour in the house - try 2 1/2 bags of it - yep, that's a lot. I tasked myself with coming up with some new recipes and think they turned out pretty darn good. The texture is really pretty soft and tender.

Rolled up with some mascarpone cheese and cherry jam.
Socca
Makes 4-5 large (10") pancakes

1 1/2 c. garbanzo bean flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/3 c. wheat bran
1 egg
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 T. honey
2 c water

Mix everything up in a medium sized bowl. In a large non-stick (very important) pan, heat 1 T. oil (I used medium heat). Pour 1/2 - 2/3 c batter into pan. Batter will be thin enough to easily cover the entire bottom of the pan. Wait to flip until edges are browning. Flip socca to brown on other side, then remove and place on a plate to cool. Repeat the process for the remaining batter.

This was some of the last batter - normally fills the entire bottom of the pan.

Take and cut into triangles or use a wrap for your favorite filling - sweet or savory.
I think I found a new high protein pancake favorite!