The Nation's Health

Summer Comfort Food

Recently when I was running really low on groceries, I had a craving for one of my comfort foods. And by comfort foods I mean a food I literally eat almost every single day; after not having it for two days, I was literally sitting staring in to space just thinking about it. That food is yogurt. I bet you were thinking - hmm, a dietitian is going to share some deep dark (shameful) secret. Sorry, nothing real dark here, unless you count a love of dark chocolate. But back to yogurt. Yes yogurt, the creamy, cool goodness, I can NOT live without it. I eat it almost everyday incorporated into breakfast - and again sometimes for a snack. And in the past few months I've been eating almost exclusively plain yogurt (I think that constitutes a hard core fan) or plain Greek yogurt with just a drizzle of honey or sliced up fruit for sweetness.

On the night in question when I had gone for two days without yogurt, I was getting desperate, I quick ran to the store, picked up some fresh raspberries - $1/pack (super sale!), Kashi Go Lean, and yogurt - then rushed home and whipped up a delicious dinner - Greek yogurt with Kashi and raspberries drizzled with honey. Pure perfection.

I have one other comfort food - and it is not pot roast, mashed potatoes, or mac and cheese, it is toast with honey and butter (salted only). It is so simple, yet encompasses pure happiness for me - whole wheat bread (warm), melted salty butter, and sweet honey.

Getting ready for a relaxed Saturday and watching the Olympics for the next couple of weeks!

Are there any food you can't live without or are your comfort foods?