The Nation's Health

Apple Oat Scones and Martha Stewart

As a little girl, I remember paging through my grandma's Martha Stewart magazines, always wondering how the recipes came out so perfect. My older sister and I would then fantasize about working for Living magazine when we grew up - she'd take the craft section and I'd tackle the baking. Just to live in the pages of that magazine would be happiness. I often hear Mary Poppins' description when I think of Martha Stewart - "Practically perfect in every way." It doesn't help matters that I tend to picture her as British whenever I'd watch her show... even though I know full well she is not (Northeastern, I do believe). I think it's probably the grace, class, and decorum - always being proper that gave me that impression.

Pure goodness.

What does Martha Stewart have to do with this recipe? It is her recipe! Since I didn't really modify the recipe, I'll give you a link for her Apple and Oat Scones with Cinnamon and Nutmeg. I did use less butter and roasted the apples ahead of time.
Hot out of the oven.
Roasted Apples - perfect for preparation ahead of time and adding to baked products later.

10-12 apples

Wash, peel, and cut in to slices. Spread slices out in a large baking pan lined with foil or parchment paper.
Bake at 350F until apples are tender, about 1-1.5 hours.

Allow apples to cool and store in refrigerator for short term use or freezer for several months. If the recipe calls for diced apples, simply snip the slices into smaller pieces using a kitchen scissors.

I got all the apples (6 bags!!) from a friend's backyard apple tree. It has been a busy couple of weeks with all the apple sauce and other apple products.
*And a side note - don't put all the peels down your garbage disposal... better to keep the in the trash with the rest of the apple cores.

I brought these scones in to work and they were a huge hit! They were also my favorite of the bunch.