The Nation's Health

Mini (semi)Home-Made Raspberry Cheesecakes

I'm going to plead guilty to using boxed mixes (gasp!). Just hear me out all you hard-core from scratch only bakers. Baking is therapeutic for me, but sometimes there just isn't time - so I resort to jazzing up a box mix to make it my own.

For these little treasures, I bought a no-bake cheesecake mix (just a generic Meijer brand) and started from there. Raspberries were really cheap at the time and we were going over to a couple friends' place to watch the opening ceremonies for the Olympic games (I at least got some red and white going).

The details won't be in primary recipe form - I followed the instructions for the crust and spooned about a tablespoon into the bottom of cupcake liners in a pan and pressed the crumbs down (I also think a pretzel crust could be good for this too). Next, I whipped up the filling and the addition I used was adding 4-6oz of mascarpone cheese (I didn't use the whole container) into the mix to add a little sweetness and complexity (classing it up). Then I topped each crust with filling to make each about 3/4 of the cupcake liner full. And set in the refrigerator for at least an hour to set.

Meanwhile, wash and dump raspberries in a bowl and marinate with Amaretto - I think there was 1/4 c to 1/2 c that I used - not too much for the flavor will become "alcohol" but enough to get that cherry/almond flavor. *Fun fact, imitation cherry and almond flavor is the same compound, just different concentrations.

When you're about to serve or set them out, top each mini cheesecake with a spoonful of raspberries. And for all you health conscious folks out there, this dessert is under 200 kcals. :) Enjoy!