The Nation's Health

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers

Last week I went a little quinoa crazy... as in quinoa for two meals a day for most of the week. And I regret none of it. Initially I had only planned to make some quinoa burgers, but a couple friends gave me peppers from their garden and I had to do something with them - so stuffed peppers it was. I've tried stuffed peppers with rice, but now that I've used quinoa, I am not going back - a lighter texture and more protein. For these I decided to mix white and red quinoa for some color variation and add in some zucchini I had left over in the fridge.

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Makes at least 6 pepper halves

1/2 c white quinoa
1/2 c red quinoa
2 c water
2 c shredded zucchini (water squeezed out)
2 green onions (chopped)
1 egg
3 T flour
1/2 c cheddar cheese
1 T dried green chillies
3 pablano peppers
Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
Salt and pepper to season

Preheat over to 350F.

Cook quinoa in two cups water until tender and water has been completely absorbed. Shred zucchini and squeeze out excess water. Mix together all of the ingredients other than the pablano peppers and parmesan.

Cut peppers in half and remove seeds. Line up on foil lined tray. Fill each pepper half with two large spoonfuls of quinoa mixture. Before baking, sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

Bake for 30-40 minutes of until peppers are tender and filling has set.

I had leftover filling, so I baked the rest in a loaf pan and later cut into slices. Sooo delicious!