The Nation's Health

Just Another (Perfect) Saturday

I can't quite pin-point when it happened but somewhere along the line I became ok and actually excited about Saturdays and weekends when nothing was planned (no where to go and no one to see unless I want to). Purely my own schedule when I can snuggle in with a movie on Friday night and wake up early on a Saturday or Sunday morning. For those who don't know - I'm a definite morning person, meaning - I love my mornings, especially the first hour or two to myself. These mornings usually entail a morning run, getting some clothes in the wash, tidying up, meals cooked for the week, yoga, or a casual breakfast with my roommates and/or other friends.

This morning was especially good - I tossed a laundry in before 7:00, grabbed a quick bite to hold me over, and got caught up on some of my blog reading. :) Then a couple friends (Sarah and AC) and I headed over bright and early to the goat farm, Prairie Fruits Farms, for breakfast! This is my third spring here in Illinois and my third year going to breakfasts on the farm. For a basic explanation, the goat farm is one of the places I will bring anyone who comes to visit me to go and see. It all started with the farmer's market and their goat cheese - fresh chevre (just SO good). Almost every Saturday morning we'd go and get something from the goat farm stand (cheese) and then the other summer they started selling gelato and ice cream. This led to summer afternoons on the farm, which I brought my family to last summer when they were here to visit. But their breakfasts have to be the best - a few other farms will come out to sell early spring produce as well, and they sell some of their early cheeses. The breakfasts usually run for a month in the spring before the farmer's market opens again. The menu changes slightly every week, usually with a breakfast type sandwich with farm fresh eggs, scones, muffins, goat's milk hot chocolate, and oatmeal. And my favorite is the oatmeal - oh the oatmeal, I have never had oatmeal that creamy and delicious, never. Usually drizzled with creme fraiche or maple syrup and topped with spiced plums or candied walnuts. I can't bring myself to order anything else, the oatmeal has me hooked.

Creamy goodness - with creme fraiche, walnuts, and plums.
After breakfast (which unless you're early, expect to stand in line for about 30 minutes) it's time to see the baby goats!! They are darling little things with floppy ears, always ready to play, and they'll nibble on your finger. (If one goes missing and can't guarantee it isn't penned in my back yard.)

Chickens roamed freely.

Mama goat.
Baby goat king of the mountain (stump).
So cute - could just take one home.
Good thing we got there early! This line will take at least 30 minutes.
Organic vegetable and herb patches.
With breakfast over, we headed home were I made up a chocolate-banana-avocado pudding, then packed up lunch and my computer to head out for the day to work. Finally finishing up the last table for my thesis - turning it in Monday (yikes!) as final, final.

For lunch today I brought along a salad of fresh mozzarella, spinach, and tomatoes drizzled with vinegar and then cantaloupe for snack. I can tell it's spring and weather is getting nice when I start to crave everything fresh.

Writing with my salad and Black Apricot Tea (my usual/favorite).
My perfect Saturday continued with a run and hitting the gym for some weights. Upon leaving the gym and getting ready for my jog home, I glanced up at the sky - becoming dark with the threat of rain... and rain it did. I got about half-way home before it started to down-pour, and I couldn't have been happier. Despite getting home more soaked than usual, I LOVE running (and playing) in the rain - just a perfect end to a an endorphine high.
Quite possibly the best frosting I've had... ever.
For a treat tonight I finished off my Carrot Muffin with Goat Chevre Frosting (so delicious - I will never love another frosting as much. Look out cream cheese, you have competition). And later have a small portion of Chocolate-Banana-Avocado pudding I whipped up earlier today from a Edible Perspective recipe.

All in all - I'd say this day was a success. Off to Sunday and looking forward to another risotto recipe coming up next week!!