The Nation's Health

Roasted Green Beans

This week has been a haphazard assortment of food as I clean out the cupboards, refrigerator, and freezer. I did manage to whip up some hummus (pictures at end of post) from tahini I found near the back of the fridge and a can of garbanzo beans I'm sure I've had for at least a month. And a nice treat for the week was also throwing together a batch of cake mix cookies - one dry yellow cake mix, 1 egg, 1/4 c water, 1/4 c oil, and some chocolate chips. Combine everything the fold in the chips and bake for 15 min at 350F.

This week's salad consisted of quinoa, kidney beans, raisins, pistachios, green onions, and radishes all tossed in a balsamic/maple dressing. For being a mishmash of ingredients it didn't turn out half bad (it's really difficult to go wrong with quinoa) although the color was more of a light tan over all and not really photogenic.

After all this random eating excitement, my pantry consists of - oatmeal, a bunch of kale, chia seeds, can of chili beans, one frozen salmon filet, honey, some bean thread noodles, radishes, and a bottle of balsamic vinegar. Too many times this week I have opened the cupboards hungry - but really not hungry for anything I have - an walk away still hungry. I think it's time for more groceries! Especially since I am out of my yogurt, soy milk, peanut butter, and fruit stables.

On the bright side, I do have a recipe to share! I was going through past pictures and found that I never posted my roasted green beans - which turned out not half bad. :)

Roasted Green Beans
~1 lb fresh green beans
balsamic vinegar
olive oil
kosher salt
thyme

Snap of the end of the green beans after rinsing beans in cold water. Place beans in a large bowl, drizzle with vinegar and olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and thyme. Toss to coat. Spread out on baking sheet lined with parchment paper and broil for 10-15 minutes depending on heat and desired level of crispiness.

These went well along with a piece of salmon or grilled chicken.




.... At the same time....
I decided to try turnips - so, I've never had turnips really at all before and have never cooked them or known what to do. I decided to try a recipe with poppy seeds. It didn't turn out super great and I've decided I will leave the turnip cooking to others - maybe they'd be better in a stew, just not this way.

Roasted turnips look really good, I just wasn't ready for their flavor, or lack there of.

For the hummus I made earlier, I slathered some on a Rosemary Wasa Crisp Bread. These thin little cracker breads pack a good flavor, the hummus was just an added bonus.

Light and healthy snack time.

Definitely worth a try.