The Nation's Health

Vegetable Soba Noodle Soup

While reading one of the blogs I follow, (never home)maker, I ran across this recipe and had to try it! I already had some left over soba noodles and vegetables in the fridge to use. I'll let you all in on a little secret, even though I am a nutrition nut, I'm not as fond of raw broccoli - but do love it cooked and in soup. I quick ran to the store and picked up some seitan and was ready to go - finding that with the current change in weather from a lovely 50 some degrees back to winter again and snow this morning, I needed something to cheer me up. After tasting this, I also decided with firm resolution that I would never go back to egg noodles in soup ever again - soba noodles are far superior and add that wonderful earthiness.

Bare with me as I attempt to write a recipe for what I made - just a warning that I usually don't use recipes as I cook - usually reading a recipe first and them putting in more or less of certain ingredients, depending how I feel.

~10 cups of water (or 5 cans of stock ~75oz)
3 bouillon cubes (vegetables or chicken if you'd like)
~1.5 tsp mushroom base

Set on stove and bring to a boil. In the mean time chop vegetables.

~ 2 cups of chopped vegetables any of the following:
carrots, broccoli, mushrooms, onion, celery, cauliflower, or others

2 tsp sesame oil
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. honey

Add to pot and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

1 bunch soba noodles
seitan chunks or chicken chunks

For the last 5 minutes add in the noodles (I broke them apart to be shorter) and continue to simmer. Finally add in the seitan or cooked chicken, heat to temp and serve.

I made my version vegan, but you can definitely add in chicken if you'd like.
Once