The Nation's Health

South of the Border Inspired (Lime) Peanut Salad

I found this recipe in my Super Natural Cooking book, and had to try it! I made it a couple days before it was actually served, but it turned out pretty well I think.

While I would normally be wary of a salad that held a high fat ingredient as such a prominent figure, this makes a great side for added texture and a kick of flavor.

2 cups unsalted raw peanuts
4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 large jalapeno chile, seeded and diced
¾ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
¼ teaspoon fine-grain sea salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Put peanuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast for 5 to 10 minutes, shaking the pan once or twice along the way. If the peanuts have skins, rub them in a clean dish-towel to remove the skins. It is not essential for all the skins to be off. (I used Spanish Peanuts so I wouldn't need to toast them and it turned out fine.)

Combine the tomatoes, jalapeno, and cilantro in a bowl. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, and salt. Add to the tomato mixture and gently stir to combine. Just before serving, fold in the peanuts. Taste and adjust the seasoning with more salt if needed. Serves 6.