The Nation's Health

My Beauty Routine: Tried And True

Zero Scalp Shampoo

Beauty Shampoo from Japan

I've finally reached a point where I'm very happy with my physical appearance. For years I've dealt with acne on my face, and I've always had very sensitive skin. Now I think I've finally found a beauty routine that works for me. I'm posting all of my products here. I've always been curious about what sort of products people used, and I've picked up a few ideas from others along the way. Maybe I can help someone out, too! All of the products are linked to pages below, so check them out.

Shampoo/Conditioner: Burt's Bees Pomegranate and Soy Very Volumizing. These products are 97.2% natural. I realized soon after I started using this shampoo and conditioner that any breakouts I had along my hairline had disappeared. Smells good, too.

Soap: Either Dove Sensitive Skin Body Wash (great, fragrance-free) or, most recently, Olay Purely Pristine Body Wash. Even though this body wash has small mineral crystals in it, it hasn't bothered my sensitive skin.

Face: Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser. This is the only face wash I will ever use. It's wonderful. Some nights I even mix a little baking soda in with it to make a natural exfoliator. Everyone should use Cetaphil.

Lotion: Eucerin Everyday Protection Body Lotion. This gentle lotion has SPF 15 and goes on nicely, without the greasy feel. My boyfriend says I smell like suntan lotion and the beach, which is fine by me.

Face Lotion: Elta MD UV Clear SPF 46. This was recommended by my dermatologist and, although it's pretty pricey, it's the best product I own. It's lightweight and not greasy. It "calms and protects acne-prone skin" while offering sun protection.

Perfume: Vera Wang by Vera Wang or Voluspa's Enfleurage (both floral and romantic scents). Harvey Prince's Eau Fling (I have this in a roll-on, which can easily be applied wherever you want. Pulse points are a must - on the wrists, behind the ears...). Delicious!

Lip Balm: Currently, the EOS Summer Fruit Lip Sphere. Cute packaging. Also, Softlips Vanilla. I also just use regular petroleum jelly on my lips at night - it makes them so soft!

My Beautiful Work

I work in a health and beauty discount store with a dress code policy that may not always let me dress how I want, but that doesn't mean I still can't feel like me. I always want to dress in a manner that is acceptable in my workplace not only because it's company policy, but also because following the dress code is smart: wearing uncomfortable or tight-fitting clothes makes the job a lot more difficult. Imagine climbing ladders and stocking shelves in a pair of heels!

That being said, I always stick to basics when I have a day of work ahead of me (a pair of comfortable jeans and a plain top). I can still have fun with my accessories though. Earrings are acceptable and can add a pop of color to any plain outfit, and my flats have a lot of personality (I wear them a lot, if you can't tell from the scuffing).

What products do you love? Do you have any beauty secrets you want to share? Leave a comment below!